Thursday, October 14, 2010

Anarchy in the Streets

Just today, I was walking. You know, being a pedestrian and that? Well, let me reaffirm one of my long-held observations about traffic: you can't be an aggressive walker. Many people choose to be aggressive drivers, but that's because they have big, powerful automobiles at their command. But if you want to be an aggressive walker, your days are pretty much numbered because some drivers will do anything to save a few seconds.

Well, I was crossing the street not far from where I live. It's a three-way stoplight: west, east, and south, with clearly marked, lit crosswalks. Since traffic rarely comes from the south, it's hard to cross from north to south-- it requires a lot of waiting, usually. But that's okay. What's not okay to me as a walker (and a human being with common sense) are all the people who don't realize that, since it's not forbidden by a sign, right turners at this light coming from the south are allowed to take their turn even though they have a red light provided there is no traffic coming. I can't stand waiting for the light and seeing this person (who, apparently, doesn't know driving laws as well as some of us who don't have licenses) wait, pulled completely forward past the near crosswalk and virtually into the potentially approaching traffic, for a green light to take their turn even though they've had countless opportunities to turn. You see, usually what happens in these scenarios is, I get my walk light and they get a green at the same time, and they seem to expect to be able to turn first-- even though the pedestrian has the right of way. I've been honked at, sworn at, and who knows what else at this crosswalk because I know that their green will last a good twenty seconds or so after my light is completely gone, so I go first because (a) it's my right and (b) I'm not at all slow when I cross the street, so they don't have to wait much longer anyway.

Well, today it happened again. Same crosswalk. Honk and all. Only today, the story is slightly different because I encountered this driver a second time, pulling out of a driveway that had no traffic light. He was in a truck, ready to turn right across two lanes of traffic (on a fairly busy street-- a right turn and a turnaround probably would have been quicker). As could be expected, he was pulled completely out into the bike lane, interfering with pedestrians' ability to cross because we would either have to walk around his truck or step out onto the street to get past. I didn't realize it was the same truck at first, but when the passenger took the time and effort to flip me off on the rebound, I knew fate had struck once more. Obviously, my adherence to what I thought was a well-known and perfectly reasonable law caused these people so much inconvenience and irritation that they carried a grudge, and possibly still do. (I should also explain that I'm wearing a bright, fairly distinctive shirt right now.)

Once again, I feel like I'm expected to be at the mercy of impatient, possibly reckless motorists just because I don't have a way to transport myself right now except for my own two legs and the local transit systems. Somehow the hierarchy of traffic has toppled, with vehicles at the top of the pyramid, crushing cyclists, who in turn are spinning their wheels over pedestrians. But the fact is fairly simple. The only vehicle I own right now is myself. I'm a human being. A slightly overweight human being, to be sure, but if I walked into a car (which would be fairly amusing to see) it really wouldn't cause any damage. Cars "walking" into human beings, however, can cause anything from a broken bone to an ended life. So, yes, unfortunately, that does require paying attention. (Walkers have to pay attention, too.) And being patient. And realizing that traffic laws are there for a reason.

No, I'm not the kind of person who is offended by every middle finger thrown his way. But in this case, it's just another depressing reminder that taking a walk is taking your life into your hands.

1 comment:

Eviville said...

Xander it's so true. And also depressing.