Saturday, October 11, 2008

And This is America

Before you begin to read this blog, you should probably read up on your current events of Washington State. Go as far back as May and you should find what you need.

When the Everett School District fired a teacher because she was violating rules (pretty standard grounds for dismissal, I'd say), it managed to ignite one of the most whiplash-inducing back-and-forths in recent history. The big bone of contention was an "underground newspaper" that she was using district facilities (and her students) to publish.

I don't really know about this newspaper. I don't know what it was about or what significance (well, if any) that it held. All I really had was an assumption-- since the paper was forbidden by the district, it must have had some kind of political slant. I still haven't been able to verify that. From there, the story evolved into a tangled web of district investigations, allegations against both involved parties, and some surveillance scandal. In the end, both parties ended up on shaky moral ground, and it was enough to force the Superintendent of the district to step aside, raising ire from many of the select group of individuals who actually knew precisely what was going on.

Well, I hope they knew what was going on; the alternative is blind opinion (shudder!)

This is what I can comfortably say about the issue without becoming an unknowing, fast-speaking hypocrite. First and foremost, the word "underground" should never have been used in the media's coverage of the scandal, and I'll tell you why.

I want you to think Orwell... big-time Orwell. Generally, a word like underground invokes a world and a nation where freedom is nonexistent. The last time it was used with any degree of effectiveness in American history was to describe the Underground Railroad, that system of transporting slaves to freedom that gives me a little spirit boost anytime I think about it. At the same time, though, it gives me a chill to think of it as well, because that also evokes the need for such a secret operation. That, in turn, evokes the painful and aggravating reality of prejudice.

Again, I don't know what this underground newspaper was about. But I do know that such a description makes my blood run cold. Maybe-- and I'm not saying definitely-- this teacher and her students (all of the above volunteers, I might add) were just trying to say something that needed to be said, but the format of the public education system just couldn't allow it. This is just an example of how idiotic our education system has turned out to be.

Every district I know of in this country has some set of regulations that forbids teachers from discussing politics with their students, except in a cold and, quite frankly, worthless divorced context. The reason for this is that administrators fear that the teachers will influence their students' political views.

That resounding whap was the sound of a heavy glove falling brusquely upon the faces of minors all over the country. I can understand this fear from K-8, but high school students should be prepared for the real world. That real world includes people who will talk downright absolutely about politics, and everyone needs to be ready to hear people's political philosophies, because they can be brought up at a moment's notice-- the minutemen of controversial discussion. No one worries about what will happen when a high school graduate or dropout hears someone talk about who they think should be President. I know far more gullible, sheep-like adults than I do teenagers. Most teens I know, in fact, have formed their own opinions on most issues based on-- gasp!-- informed research and sheer intelligence!

I would also like to add that everyone is generally influenced from a very early age by their parents, for good and bad. Just as manners and knowledge can be shared between parent and child, so can things like political ideology and religion. I'm not saying children should be influenced with either of these-- in fact, they shouldn't, but stopping it simply can't be done. And because of it, many children will grow up without any kind of moral spine that they can explain without resorting to calling up their parents. Teachers do it far less and far less damagingly.

The bottom line is, respect is necessary. The teens of today are the leaders of tomorrow, and we will grow up to remember the disrespect and mistrust and general babying with which we were treated by the leaders of today. And tomorrow, they will call upon us to fix the problems that they saddled us with in the first place.

Maybe, when that day comes, we should just tell them we can't solve their problems because it would be wrong to influence their mashed-potato-ish minds.

1 comment:

Eviville said...

What? Where did you hear about that? What are your sources?
Yeah, we're screwed, and I blame them. This is more than teenage angst!